Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity
Debra Mixon Mitchell
Director of Diversity Recruiting
Associate Professor, Morgridge College of Education
Vice Chancellor, Human Resources and Inclusive Community
Director of Student Outreach and Support
Associate Professor, Political Science
Associate Director, Budget, Research and Analysis
Our team is working on several projects this year:
Developing comprehensive diversity, equity and inclusive excellence plans in consultation with Deans:
The team is working closely with academic units on strategic plans. If your unit is working on a strategic plan and has not been in contact with the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, please contact Frank Tuitt.
Faculty Fellows Program:
We would like to announce our new ODI Faculty Fellows:
- Dr. Judy Kiyama (Morgridge College of Education)
- Dr. Aaron Schneider (Korbel School of International Studies)
- Dr. Elizabeth Escobedo (Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences)
- Dr. Eugene Walls (Graduate School of Social Work)
- Dr. Breigh Roszelle (Ritchie School of Engineering and Computer Science)
These 5 Faculty Fellows will advance the work of Inclusive Excellence; creating and further embedding a capacity building resource within and alongside their academic departments. The ODI Faculty Fellows are tasked with engaging and fostering diversity and inclusion efforts, while serving as a resource and platform for innovation and IE organizational transformation. Their areas of focus includes providing vital support for:
- Underrepresented faculty
- The infusion of inclusive curriculum and pedagogy
- Unit level strategic planning toward Inclusive Excellence
- Participation in faculty search processes
- Diversity and inclusion communication and advocacy efforts within their unit and beyond.
We hosted an ethnic studies brainstorming retreat on October 13. The half-day retreat welcomed 50 of DU’s faculty, staff and graduate students into a workshoping process that produced six themes and interest with respect to ethnic studies. ACE Fellow Dr. Melanie Harris led the charge as she presented options of what could be at DU, followed by Dr. Frank Tuitt’s facilitation of several exercises walking us through the process.
Expanding and improving procedures for faculty and staff searches to promote increased compositional diversity:
A faculty hiring dashboard is available for hiring teams and the staff hiring guide is under review.
We are also working on developing pilot projects that would help us promote increased compositional diversity:
- Embedding IE in the annual review process for faculty via Activity Insight
- Developing proposal for IE leadership development for middle managers
Collecting feedback about the newly created inclusive excellence and diversity dashboard to report data in composition, engagement, inclusion and achievement:
We created the Diversity Dashboard on the new website for Diversity and Inclusion. The Dashboard gives us a snapshot of student composition, campus climate, student engagement benchmarks, and student outcomes.
Last Updated: 2/14/18